|Also known as/Alias(es):||Pretty Boy (By Tommy)|
Black Lung (By The Camp Rat)
Morgan (Usually called by The Camp Rat)
|Appearance(s):||Red Dead Redemption 2|
|Date of birth:||1863|
|Date of death:||November, 1899 (aged 36)|
|Affiliation(s):||Dutch van der Linde (formerly)|
Van der Linde gang (formerly)
|Vehicle(s):||Boadicea (former horse)|
Taima (borrowed from Charles Smith)
Tennessee Walker (default horse)
|Family:||Lyle Morgan (father, deceased)|
Beatrice Morgan (mother, deceased)
Mary Linton (ex-fiance)
Eliza (significant other, deceased)
Issac (son, deceased)
|Voiced by:||Roger Clark|
|Height:||6' 1 (1m85)|
- "John made it. He’s the only one. Rest of us....no. But, I tried. In the end, I did."
- ―Arthur to Dutch van der Linde and Micah in his dying moments and his possible last words (determinant)
Arthur Morgan is a character in the Red Dead series, appearing as the protagonist of Red Dead Redemption 2. He was part of Dutch van der Linde's gang until the falling out due to each other's trust decreasing.
The player can determine what he looks like. He can either be messy, clean, or a little bit of both. He can have a beard or not depending if the player decides to let his beard grow or shave it. He can either have long hair or short hair as well, again, depending on how the player treats him. After beating up a man named Thomas Downes, he contracted Tuberculosis, which makes him appear slightly pale with his eyes looking sickly. He can also have red cheeks, well red.
Depending on the player's actions, either Arthur will be a caring and helpful man or a violent and evil man. Even though he is a outlaw, he may sport a good side on some things, like how he helps the Downes family after Thomas Downes died, despite Downes' wife telling him to stay away.
Arthur Morgan was born to Lyle and Beatrice Morgan in 1863, somewhere up north. He was raised for a short while by his parents until their deaths, with Beatrice likely passing from an illness and Lyle being executed in front of the young boy. Sometime in his early teens, Arthur was found by Dutch Van der Linde and Hosea Matthews, where he was raised into the Van der Linde gang, serving as the lead enforcer. By the time he was a young adult, he met and slept with a 19 year old waitress named Eliza, which conceived their son, Isaac. Arthur stops by and stays with them sometime every few months. But sadly, one day, Arthur decides to go visit his son and former lover, but when he approached their home, he saw two crosses outside, which then, he immediately knew that the two of them were robbed and murdered for a meager $10. This hardened Arthur for many years to come, which also affects his feelings towards the gang, making him see them more like family. Sometime in his youth, he also met a woman named Mary Gillis, whom he fell in love with. The two were engaged at some point, but their relationship ended badly, which Arthur accepts. He continues to be the gang’s enforcer for many years to come.
Due to Arthur beating up Thomas Downes, who has Tuberculosis, under Leopold Strauss' orders, while Arthur held him up against the fence, Downes coughs on him, which causes him to receive Tuberculosis. He later learns of it after he was helped to the hospital while almost passing out in Saint Denis. During the final mission of Chapter Six, Arthur is then engaged in a fight with Micah Bell either in the gang's destroyed camp in Beaver Hollow if he chose to go back for the money, or on the ridge of a cliff in Grizzlies' East after he has helped John. If in the gang's camp, Micah attempts to sink his knife into his chest. Depending on Arthur's Honor Level, either he will succeed or fail as Arthur bites his hand. Either way, Dutch then confronts both of them and soon walks away. Then, if Arthur's Honor is too low, then Micah turns to him, knife in hand. As Arthur is crawling away, Micah then says that "it's been a lotta fun" before stabbing him in the back, which then in a matter of seconds, kills Arthur. Otherwise, if his Honor is high enough, Micah will ignore Arthur and leaves him to die. Arthur then looks up at the sky before lying down and passing away peacefully due to his Tuberculosis. If Arthur chose to help John get to safety, after a brutal fist fight with Micah, Arthur is then trying to crawl to a unholstered gun on the ground to shoot Micah with it. However, just as he reaches the gun, Dutch then steps on his hand to stop him. Soon, Dutch leaves the ridge without Micah, leaving both him and Arthur. Then, depending on Arthur's Honor, if it is too low, Micah then walks towards him and pulls out his gun, claiming that he is no better than him. Soon, Micah then shoots him in the head, killing him instantly while laughing manically at his corpse before walking away. If his Honor is high enough, Micah will storm off in anger. Arthur then crawls to an edge, where he leans against the cliff wall as he watches the sunrise before dying from his Tuberculosis.
Sometime after his death, Charles Smith received word about the gang’s downfall and both Arthur and Susan Grimshaw’s deaths and goes back to bury both their bodies. Arthur’s grave is seen on a mountain east of the Mysterious Hill Home in Grizzlies East, Ambarino, north of Bacchus Bridge, Cumberland Forest.
Arthur‘s attempt in giving John a second chance in life proved fruitful as eight years later in 1907, John and his family settle down in Beecher’s Hope as ranchers after relocating from the Yukon territory of Canada. However, John goes against his word about how to not look back at the past and decides to hunt down Micah at Mount Hagen for the death of Arthur and the downfall of the gang, with Arthur’s former friends, Charles Smith and Sadie Adler accompanying him. They succeed with the help of Dutch, who joined Micah sometime after Arthur’s death, but this action ultimately leads to the government kidnapping John’s family and John’s own death four years later in 1911, mirroring Arthur’s words about
If Arthur has conversed with some interesting civilians throughout his journeys, they can remember Arthur fondly or vengefully. The list of people that can remember him is:
- Mickey: If Arthur met Mickey in Valentine, Mickey will tell John that he looks similar to Arthur, saying that he has the same rugged look as him, but couldn’t quite remember his name and believed it to be Alan or something similar. After hearing that Arthur has passed from John, Mickey is sorrowful for Arthur’s sadly demise.
- Rhodes War Veteran: If Arthur talked with the veteran outside of the Rhodes General Store, then eight years later, the veteran will remember John riding with Arthur a while back, then John breaks the news that he has passed away, which the veteran feels sorrowful.
- Hamish Sinclair: If Arthur completed some of Hamish’s missions but does not finish the rest of them, then depending on which missions were completed, Hamish may mention that either Arthur helped him with his leg, went fishing with him, or both helped catch the giant fish and killed a wolf with his bare hands.
- Charlotte Balfour: If Arthur helped her in all of her missions, John will pay a social call, with Charlotte fondly remember Arthur and sorrowful over his passing. She allows John to take whatever he needs as he is a friend of Arthur’s.
- Anthony Foreman: If Arthur spared him, then eight years later, John can take his bounty poster in Saint Denis. After catching him, John talks about Tilly Jackson, which Anthony remembers. He also notes that the man (Arthur) who helped Tilly was bigger than John.
- Young jealous boy: If Arthur encountered him (can be found near Cumberland Falls) and tells him to be one of the good people, then John can find him again in a random location. If John interacts with the boy, he mentions how a man (Arthur) told him to be one of the good people, he mentions how he (Arthur) “ruined his life”.
In Red Dead Redemption’s “The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed“, as John is evacuating his family from the farm, John says the same line Arthur said to him before his passing, which is “don’t look back”.